Asian Curry Awards announces winners
Over 700 guests, including London Mayor Sadiq Khan, attended the Asian Curry Awards in association with Just Eat at the Grosvenor House in London’s Mayfair.
The Asian Curry Awards shortlist was determined by over 100,000 votes from members of the public. A team of judges, led by Pat Chapman editor of the Cobra Good Curry Guide, toured the country to determine the winners.
The awards recognise the best in the industry and encourage higher standards to ‘inspire’ the next generation of chefs.
Khan said: “By bringing the best of Asian culinary traditions to these shores, these restaurant owners have expanded not only the choice of food available to the British public, but our very identity as an open, inclusive and multicultural nation.”
Millennium Balti, Leamington Spa, won the Special Social Responsibility of the Year award. Ajmal Mushtag (Mushtags, Hamilton) and Habib Chowdhury (My Curry Club, Cheshire) won Entrepreneurs awards.
Asian Curry Award winners:
· Lifetime Achievement Award: Pat Champion
· Fine Dining Award: Benares in Mayfair
· Casual Dining Restaurant of the Year: Dishoom in Covent Garden
· Just Eat Takeaway of the Year title: Chilli Tuk in London N12, Golden Dragon in Swansea and Rogan Josh in Cheltenham
· Best Vegan: Sanctua in Leicester
· Best Vegetarian: Vegetarian Food Studio Cardiff
· Buffet Restaurant of the Year: Royal Nawaab, Manchester
· Best Event Caterer: Spice Village in Croydon
· Newcomer of the Year: Rehmat’s in Aberdeen
· Innovative Restaurant of the Year award: Crooked Skewer, Hull,
· Individual cuisine titles were awarded to: to Zuma, London W1 (Japanese), Romulo Café, London W8 (Filipino), Ottoman Kitchen, Southampton (Middle Eastern), Feng Wei Shi Tang, Soho (Chinese)
· The Nepalese Restaurant of the Year: shared by Everest Inn, Ashford Kent and Panas Gurkha, London SE13
· Pan-Asian Restaurant of the Year: Zaman’s in London W1
· Best Asian Fusion award: Hakkaland, Harrow
· Hospital Venue of the Year: Maida in Manchester
· Best Maitre D’: Shahin Malek (Rivaaz, Lymington)