Historic chef competition International Salon Culinaire opens for entries
The Skills Theatre will allow aspiring and student chefs to demonstrate their skills in live competition and provide a platform to showcase their talents and refine their skills essential for their career growth.
The Craft Guild of Chefs Team of the Year in conjunction with Waitrose & Partners will be asking chefs to develop a delicious bowl food menu. Other competitions include:
- The Australian Wagyu Beef competition in partnership with Meat & Livestock Australia
- Junior and Senior pasta competitions in partnership with Dell’Ugo Foods
- An evolution of Tilda Chef Team of the Year which will challenge competing chefs to focus on using ‘waste’ or by-products to create dishes
- Oatly plant-based challenge
- Pub Chef of the Year will be partnering with Essential Cuisine to ask chefs to create a pie dish
Salon chef director Steve Munkley commented: “Chefs are in more demand than ever, with the industry crying out for new recruits. HRC and Salon Culinaire give us, the ‘cheffing’ industry, the opportunity to shine and show off our talents, encouraging others to join and make us stronger in the long term.”
Judges for the 2024 edition of Salon Culinaire include John Williams MBE, executive chef at The Ritz London; Will Torrent, senior brand development chef at Waitrose & Partners; Michelin-starred chef and consultant Daniel Galmiche and Cherish Finden, pastry chef and judge on Bake Off: The Professionals.
The competition is once again supported by Compass Group UK & Ireland as headline partner.
Nick Vadis, culinary director and Compass Group, added: “International Salon Culinaire is an incredibly valuable chance for chefs to expand their skillset, demonstrate their creativity and resourcefulness, and connect with industry peers.
“The competition has been fantastic for chefs across Compass Group who have been able to stand out from the crowd and embrace new opportunities within the business. I can’t wait to see what this year’s competitors bring to the table.”