YCYW 2020 competition unveils 25 finalists
The live final will take place in May 2021 in four London venues to discover the best young chef and young waiter in the UK and China/South East Asia.
The 25 finalists were chosen by UK head chef judge Theo Randall, UK head waiter judge Simon King and chairwoman of China/South East Asia judges Ching He Huang.
The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at The Dorchester on 28 June 2021 from 6-9pm.
The YCYW competition was relaunched by The Nth Degree Global in partnership with UKHospitality and the Restaurant Association, to promote hospitality as a career choice.
Randall said: “YCYW is a fantastic platform for young talented professionals to show off their skills and this year has been no exception.
“I look forward to the final when we can to judge this truly great competition in person. Thank you to everyone that has taken part, especially the sponsors, who have offered their time and products at a very challenging time."
Finalists for Best Young Chef (UK):
- Alexandra Henderson The Lansdowne Club
- Ali Halbert Hencote, The View
- Freya Popham Restaurant Associates, Societe Generale
- Lewis Glaister Scott’s
- Liam Smith The Gleneagles Hotel
- Masudi Nestor Pene Claude Bosi at Bibendum
- Peter Meechan Gleneagles Hotel
- Valère Ruiz 14 Hills
Finalists for Best Young Waiter (UK):
- Cristina Daniela Gaucho
- Declan Wilkins The Hand and Flowers
- Florian David The Waterside Inn
- George Smart The Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
- Hellie Honney The Gleneagles Hotel
- Martin McRae The Gleneagles Hotel
- Remy Baben Wild Honey St James
- Ruhit Abdul Hide Restaurant
Finalists for Best Young Chef (China/South East Asia):
- Qing lee Chen Imperial Treasure
- Tibor Palasti The Sushi Bar Harrods
- Maurine Lordios Kai Mayfair
- Kevin Hoang Lu Ban
Finalists for Best Young Waiter (China/South East Asia):
- Sabrina Aquilina TĪNG Restaurant, Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
- Julien Peigneux TĪNG Restaurant, Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
- Marie Bouquet TĪNG Restaurant, Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
- Simone Rizzo TĪNG Restaurant, Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
- Iris Buchner A Wong Restaurant
Huang added: “It has been a tough year for the hospitality industry, despite this we are delighted to have attracted some high calibre entrants within our industry.
“The aim of this competition is to support the next generation of talent to recognise and award those who continue to give their all, as well as attracting promising young talent to work in our special industry.”