£39,364 per annum Full time, Permanent Westminster.
Catering Services aim to deliver the best quality service with an enthusiastic and professional team for the benefit of all our customers. We are responsible for the efficient operation of the House of Commons catering facilities.
The Pastry Sous Chef will be responsible for managing the Pastry team and kitchen with minimal supervision. Some of the key duties in this exciting role include; the planning, preparation, production and service of all menu and related items to a high standard; the management or supervision and training of all employees in the team; the compliance and enforcement of Food Safety and Health & Safety regulations and policies; full responsibility in operating within any financial remit as specified.
Skills and Experience
- Relevant catering qualifications i.e. City and Guilds 706:1&2 or NVQ level 1,2&3 or equivalent qualification(s). Accredited food hygiene qualifications.
- Able to demonstrate good cooking skills, knowledge of food and successfully working in all areas of the kitchen in a high volume, multi-outlet, high quality venue. Must have a sound understanding, knowledge and control of current Food Hygiene Health and Safety practices. A good understanding of kitchen financial management including recipe costs, food costs, staff costs and meeting required Gross Profit targets.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of managing, motivating and developing kitchen staff giving feedback and supporting development. Must show evidence of own development and training.
- Must be able to assess and anticipate the requirements of the customer to ensure a high-quality service is delivered. Uses initiative to define and resolve customer’s queries.
- Ability to demonstrate culinary knowledge and have experience of menu and dish development, industry trends and initiatives.
- Good IT Literacy and numeracy skills.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- A very competitive industry salary.
- 30 days’ annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service Pension scheme.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan
- Secure employment in an industry that isn’t noted for its stability.
- Monthly Service Charge & paid overtime (voluntary & non-contractual).
- Excellent ‘In-House’ and external training for professional and career progression (either within the catering service or elsewhere in Parliament).
- Further development with encouragement to enter culinary competitions involvement with the Craft guild of Chefs and British Culinary Federation Societies with guidance from award winning mentors.
- 5 over 6 day working shift patterns with Sundays and all Bank Holidays off.
- Free staff meals and uniforms provided and laundered.
- Free Safety Shoes after 3 months.
- 'Star Awards’ staff recognition scheme.
- Access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme with a 24/7 helpline.
- On site gym.
f you would like to apply for this role, please submit your CV along with a supporting statement providing evidence against all the criteria listed in the job description.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the Job Description. All applications should be submitted via our vacancy portal: https://www.parliament.uk/about/working/working-for-commons/.